Friday, March 28, 2008

Flashback Friday...1992

My "Senior Trip" wasn't like the typical trip that all my other friends went on. Most people went to Mexico or Florida or Corpus Christi. I went to Indianan to live with Amish people for 10 days. No this wasn't some sort of punishment that my mom thought would make me a better person. This was a trip that she and my best friend, Dianna, came up with. Dianna's dad was raised Amish and at age 16 they go out into the world and after a couple of years they go back, marry and settle down. Well he fell in love with her mom so he left the Amish community so all of her dad's side of the family is through and through Amish.
We took a train from Denver to Chicago and were suppose to transfer trains and catch another that would take us to South Bend, Indiana. Well our train was late leaving Denver so we missed our connection. Amtrak put us up in a hotel until and next day when we could catch another train. That is another story in itself but once we made it to her families farms it was a BLAST! What an amazing adventure to see how they live. Gathering eggs, milking cows and seeing how much trouble we could get in. The food was Incredible! The whole trip was a great experience. I still say that this was was best vacation I have had.

This is a picture of us doing laundry by hand.
1992

They don't allow their pictures to be taken so I can't remember if they
let us take these or if we did it behind their backs...these are two of her cousins wearing their typical dress and I put on one of their bonnets for the picture..

Okay...lets do Prom/Dance picture(s) next week. I have a ton so be prepared! That wasn't meant to sound snotty. Anyway...anyone in?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Bring on the Prom pictures. You look very cute in the bonnet. Now I know you will look good in the Pioneer clothes.:) You look exactly the same.

Kristen said...

So do you ever do laundry by hand just for fun?

Lori said...

OOOHHHH! I love prom pictures! Let's do it!

Melody said...

Everytime I read your blog you just get cooler!;) What an awesome experience!

Oh and I'm embarrassed of my prom pics. I was kinda funny lookin but I may muster up some courage by next friday.;)

Jossie said...

That is amazing! I think it's crazy that you say it's the best vacation you ever had! I am too much of a sissy for doing everything by hand. Good for you! Hey, wanna count our dance pictures and see who has more? Just kidding! I didn't think you sounded snotty at all. This will be fun next week!

Boomers Bunch said...

That is neat that you got to see how they do things. I would LOVE to join in with the prom pics but I don't have any. I might be able to talk to Brother Spindler and ask if he took any pics of us.....I was home tought so I didn't realy get to do that stuff. I think the one school dance I went to was Homecoming, so we will see!

Melissa B said...

That sounds so interesting! It is surprising that as a Senior in High School you would actually want to do something like that, very mature!

Hopefully we are in our house by next Friday so I can post prom pictures!

Cardalls said...

I love the Amish--I served my mission in Philadelphia and was able to go to Amish country in Pennsylvania. I would love to go back and spend more time there!

Lara B said...

That is so cool. There is so much about you that I didn't know. I love your Flashback Fridays. I can't wait to see your Prom pictures. Did you go with a Lighten? :) Love ya!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space