Tuesday, October 21, 2008

SPT

This month's challenge provides us the opportunity to spend some time with ourselves. Lelly says, "This month we will consult our 100 lists. It's quite simple, really. On the 7th of the month post an SPT about item #7 on your list. On the 14th of the month, post an SPT about #14. And so on and so on.

On my birthday 100 list, #21 reads (really #4, again my #21 is not facinating):

I have had 6 knee surgeries

My first and second ones were during my Junior year of High School (1991). Part of my femur bone (down near my patella) doesn't get enough blood flow so it caused a portion of my bone to be loose so they put a screw in it and I was on crutches for 3 months to keep it in place. (Surgery #1) Then I had the screw removed. (Surgery #2)

Ten years later (2001) I started feeling that pain again. Different doctor-same surgeries (#3 and #4). This time it was much more fun because I had crutches for 3 months AND an 18 month old!

Two years after that (2003) my knee had issues again and this time there were parts of my bone that were breaking away so he went in and took all the little pieces out. (#5).
A few months after that it happened again. The doctor went it-took all of that dead bone out and replaced it with a cadaver piece. (#6)

5 years later and I haven't had any more issues! I am careful what I do with my knee because I don't have any options left but a knee replacement. I do have a lovely scar on my right knee though...I pretty much look tough!
What I have is:
osteochondritis dissecans of the medial femoral condyle

That makes me sound tough too!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

wow - that is a very special kind of "self-portrait!!" i'm glad you are not having any issues now with your knee. hope it continues!

Sarah said...

You are tough! That is a lot of surgery for someone who gives birth at home. I thought you shunned Dr.'s. Just kidding.

amy gretchen said...

Congrats on not having any more problems. That can't be an easy thing to rehabilitate. Let's hope 6 was your last.

Aranne and Dan said...

wow six is a lot... I have pretty messed up knees but I just sort of let it go... I did the crutches thing in high school too. They tell me my knee cap is not fused together and that is why it locks up on me from time to time!!! I have had three foot surgeries... but no knee surgery for me (knock on wood)!

Dacia said...

Wow, you are brave. Good thing you haven't had any problems since. I hope it continues to work well for you. You're right, that's a tough scar!

Kristen said...

All I can say is ouch.

The Monkeys said...

Wow, you are tough. I don't want any surgeries, thank you. And especially not 6. So not fun. Hope that cadaver holds up for you.

Jossie said...

Nice! You ARE tough, in more ways than just the knee surgery though. Love ya!

Jeanette said...

Wow! You are tough!

Lene said...

That is a lovely scar!

What a lot of work on the same knee. I think I would be careful with it also.

Jenean Hoffman said...

You are a rockstar, lady! I only had one knee surgery but you have the longest-ly named condition I've ever heard! And you have a piece of another person inside you!...ok..gonna leave that one alone. Love you sweet cousin!

Pam said...

WOW,I thought my sister had problems...One tough women!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space