Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Eli's Surgery

Tomorrow Eli goes in for surgery. He has an Epigastric Hernia-what is an Epigastric Hernia you ask? About.com says...

An epigastric hernia happens when a weakness in the abdominal muscle allows the tissues of the abdomen to protrude through the muscle. An epigastric hernia is usually present at birth, and may heal without treatment as the infant grows and the abdominal muscles strengthen. An epigastric hernia is similar to a umbilical hernia, except the umbilical hernia forms around the belly button and the epigastric hernia is usually between the belly button and the chest.

Since I am such an observant mom (yeah right) I noticed that something may not be right so we went for an opinion, and a 2nd opinion. So tomorrow we have to be at Summerlin Hospital at 6:15am! Yikes! It is out patient but its the whole anesthetic thing that is so scary for me! They will make a small incision above his belly button and stitch the hole to close it.

This is what it looks like. When he is relaxed you can't see anything but if he is using his stomach muscles for anything you can see this little crease in the skin.

It is not completely necessary to have the surgery, since it doesn't affect (effect?) him right now but as he gets older and lifts heavy things or is in sports it can cause a problems so they usually suggest doing it as a child. Recovery is a lot easier and doesn't disrupt their life style!

I will update tomorrow! I can't wait for this to be over and know that he is ok!

11 comments:

Melissa B said...

Tessa had/has one of those too. But a couple of years ago I took her into the doctor and he couldn't find it. But every once in a while when she screams really, really, really hard it pops out a little bit. Hope the surgery goes well for him. 6:15, yikes!

Sarah said...

Thank you for the explanation. I totally understand it now. Surgery is scary,and I would be a nervous wreck. I am sure Eli will be fine. Let me know how everything goes.

Buzosucka said...

I hope he will be ok. Yikes, the whole thing about an epigastric hernia is like you were a born doctor. i am really scared for him!!!

berrymom said...

Good luck!

bloodfamily said...

Bryce had to have surgery when he was 4 years old. He had his adnoids & tonsils removed. It is scary, but everything will be fine. We will keep him in our prayers. It sounds like it should be a quick thing though. Be ready to cuddle the dickens out of him when it's over. I will come and be with you if you want. Just let me know.

Erin Ganley said...

We will be thinking of you tomorrow Eli! good luck :)

Cardalls said...

the worst part is them coming out of the anesthetic, they are so disoriented and out of it and he may scream for a long time. He'll be okay...all three of my boys have had surgery of some sort and it's all gone fine!

Kristen said...

Good luck Eli and to you Rachael. Hope all goes well.

Jossie said...

We're totally thinking about you guys! Let me know how everything goes :-)

Jenean Hoffman said...

Know that our love is with you guys and hoping you are all out of surgery, and on the way to mending. Post when you can :)

hzaby said...

Everything is going to go good. Angelo just had the same surgery on Monday at Summerlin.The only bad about Summerlin is that we were supposed to be there by 8:30 and did not get taken back for surgery until 11:15. That was bad, but I was like you I was very nervous, but everything did turn out good. He will do fine.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space