Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SPT- Grass

The fourth element of summer is grass.

Well here in Vegas we don't see much of it. Unless you are in Summerlin. Then there is plenty. For those who aren't familiar with Vegas, Summerlin is the richer, snobbier area. Every city has this...in the Denver area it was Cherry Creek, in Southern California, it was Laguna Hills.
So here in North Las Vegas, most lawns are desert landscaping which I hate with a passion. I was so excited when we picked our house and could choose between the two...grass or desert. Who in their right mind would pick desert...right? So we had grass.

4 years later I get why people pick desert. When you get a bowling alley strip of grass it is a pain to maintain. It is really too small to really care. So after a few notices to maintain our dead grass we ripped it out and replaced it with my kind of grass...fake.
After 4 months we still haven't added a few bushes around the outside to make it look better...maybe in the fall when it isn't so hot!

Look I finally got the 'self portrait' for the SPT! I seem to always forget!

17 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great picture of you and Eli. I love it. When we bought our house I was so upset because we had desert landscaping. However, 6 years later, all of those that had grass have either torn it out, or it looks dead. Now I love my desert landscaping. I also love your fake grass. It is so luxurious.

Jeanette said...

Love the self portrait! And how awesome to have fake grass. All of the beauty without the work. Perfect!

Lene said...

Your fake grass is great. Such a great idea. All the beauty without all the work.

Lene said...

jeanette and I must be sharing the same brain today. Funny.

Barb said...

I just went through a great debate with my son on whether to buy grass cleats or turf cleats for football, and for some reason it is cracking me up to now click over and find a real vs artificial turf struggle in blogland. I think your turf looks great and your self portrait is adorable.

me said...

Cute picture! The fake grass looks great! And I have to say that I am jelous that you got your background to work. Everytime I try Cutest blogs on the block there is a problem. Maybe I will try again.

Bren's Life said...

I love the picture of you. It's so cute. The grass doesn't look fake. I am right there with you on desert landscaping. I hate it for myself. Stinking cactus & then you walk through the rocks & you step on a piece of cactus...
I love green!

Unknown said...

ooooh, i love your self portrait today! very nice. i had never considered *fake grass* but it seems very tempting now...

Ralaina said...

I'm not a fan of desert landscaping myself. Your house looks great!-I love the picture of you and Eli!

Chris said...

I know nothing of desert landscaping. But the picture of you looks great and the landscaping looks nice. Not mowing would be really nice.

Melissa B said...

Artificial turf is the only way to go around here! We all need a little green in our life, even if it is fake. I grew up in Seattle, so when I first moved here I was having a hard time with all the brown and rock.

Aranne and Dan said...

I am in Vegas too... We moved in and had a whole yard of grass and out it came.. It is just too much work and dies no matter what. We love our fake grass!

MaryRC said...

great Self Portrait! i feel ya with the planting, my yard is so sad in the summer, I just don't care in the heat. come the end of September... were all over it, right!

berrymom said...

Oh grass-less Las Vegas...that was one thing I really didn't like. Your fake grass looks great. There is one thing I have always wondered about fake grass...how do you keep little leaves and stuff off it? Do you have to vaccum it :)?

The Behunin Five said...

The grass looks great. I may be a little slow or stupid, but what is SPT?

Alisa said...

I have asked several people- how does the fake grass feel?
Love the photo of you- way to go getting in the pic!

The Monkeys said...

cute self portrait. My husband would be so jealous of your fake grass. We got a small patch of grass, too and it is a pain. My husband ends up mowing the whole line of townhouses lawns when he breaks out the mower, just to make it worth it!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Frame by Pixels and Ice Cream
Sponsored by Free Web Space